The total numbers of books in the library are 6628 as on 31st October 2018. The library has subscribed to 10 English and Hindi newspapers, 14 magazines and 10 journals. The library also offers online access to e-journals and e-books through INFLIBNET under N-LIST program. In which access to 31,35,000+ebooks and 9000+ejournals is provided. For this purpose, a Resource Centre with 14 computers was established in the library.
Aims of Library
- To develop rich collection of reading material useful for library users (students, Teachers and other staff members).
- To provide full information support to the teaching- learning process in the College.
- To provide various library services and facilities to the readers.
- To support research activities of research scholars (Teachers).
- To support institution for developing quality of learning and teaching.
- College Librarian : 01
- Library Attendant : 01
For the smooth functioning of library and its activities, every year College authority constitutes library committee. The main objective of this library committee is to utilize the funds and to look in to the other affairs of the library. The committee also looks in to the student’s/ faculty user’s grievances, if any.
The Committee consists of Principal as Chairman, senior Teachers as Member and college Librarian as member secretary.
Catagories of Library Users
All the students, faculty members and non-teaching staff(serving in Govenment Degree College Arki) are entitled to get the membership of the library.
Library Services And Facilities
The library has a key role in supporting the academic activities of the institution by establishing, maintaining and promoting the library and information services,both quantitatively and qualitatively.
Book Borrowing facility
a. Students: 2 books for home study for 2 weeks
b. Faculty members: 5 books for an academic session.
c. Non teaching staff members: 2 books for 2 weeks.
Reading Room Facility
Reading room facility is available to students and staff members in the reading room during the library hours i.e. from to 10 AM TO 5 PM.
The library has seating capacity for about 100 users..
Current Awareness Service (CAS)
The newly arrived books/ list as well as book jackets are displayed to attract the library users. The information for CAS is also taken from the Newspapers (Press cuttings), relevant portions of magazines and books etc.
The college library is registered with the INFLIBNET-NLIST and provided access to e- resources i.e. E books and E journals for the benefit of its users. To make the best use of these e- resources user ID and password has been created for student/ staff users. Beside this a webpage:’librarygdcarkihp.webs.com’ with links to N-LIST, University Syllabi and open access resources i.e. ebooks, ejournals, online lectures, and competitive examination material is also created for ease of access.
14 computers with Internet facility are available in library for its users. Users can search and read required information.
The personal assistance as guidance and help is provided to the new as well as to the old readers, if required to make the best use of the library collection.
Library computerization/ Automation
The library has purchased SOUL 2.0 (library management software) form INFLIBNET and the work of computerization is in process The library is partially automated
Library Rules For Users
Identity card will be issued by the College Librarian on production of admission fee receipt. No one will be permitted to the library without identity card. Identity card is a legal document, its misuse is an offence and the student responsible for the same is liable for disciplinary action. In case I card is lost/ misplaced the student must report immediately to the College Librarian. New/ duplicate I card will be issued after 15 days and Rs. 20/- be charged for the same.
Personal belongings such as private books, files, bags, Umbrella, purse, shall be deposited by the library users at the property counter before entering the stack area.
Issue of Books And Delay Fine
- Library users (student and staff) shall be allowed to use the library and borrow books. In case books issued are not returned within the time limit, book delay fine @ Re. 1=00 per day per book shall be charged from the defaulters. The books will be reissued/ renewed if the same is not in demand by any other user.
- Before getting the books issued any damage to the books should be pointed out immediately to the counter Assistant/ College Librarian.
Loss/ Mutilation of Books
- In case of damage or loss of books, the user shall be required to replace the book with latest edition or pay the actual cost with 20% extra.
Restricted categories of books/and Other Reading Materials
- Reference books, multivolume books and rare books shall not be lent out for home study. These can be consulted within library premises with the written permission of the College Librarian. Journals, Magazines and Newspapers provided in the library Reading room will not be issued to all the above categories of the users.
- Reader shall maintain proper order and silence in the library. Making noise, spitting, smoking, writing, marking on walls, use of mobiles or doing anything else which may disturb staff and other readers or against the library rules is strictly prohibited.
- A reader responsible for any damage caused to the library property or reading materials shall be required to replace the same and be panellized under library rules.
- The issue counter will be closed half an hour earlier so that the persons on the counter may wind up their work for the day and may prepare for the next day.
- No reader will be allowed to sleep in the library and its reading room. The librarian may recall any book at any time if he considers that it is in great demand and in the interest of institution.
- Computerization of library with standard library management software.
- Inclusion of sufficient information about the library on/ in the College WEBSITE, college magazine, prospects, annual report as well as on the notice board.
- Arrangement of collection of books on competitive exams and on HIMACHAL separately.
- Compiling of student’s attendance statistics.
- Display of newspapers clippings/ employment related information on the notice board periodically.
- Own webpage https://librarygdcarkihp.webs.com
- Suggestion Box